Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Email Creep Factor

The Hunt
So, as you know, I've recently struck out on my own to launch The Email Advisor and in doing so found myself in the predicament of needing to get health insurance. So in lieu of talking to an insurance agent, I jumped on eHealthInsurance.com - filled out my information and waited to get my quote.

The Skunk
Within minutes of hitting submit, I received nothing short of a dozen email offers from independent agents offering me the best deal on my health insurance. That isn't entirely unusual - we are all used to auto responder emails and have even gotten used to ignoring them. I disregarded the emails and went on with my evening...then the phone rang. It was 9 PM on a Tuesday night. I didn't recognize the number, but had to pick it up so the ringing didn't wake up my sleeping children. It was a man. He said, "hey it's Tim," as if I know who Tim is. He proceeded to tell me that he noticed I submitted a request for information about health insurance and wanted to review all the details right then and there. I quickly hurried him off the phone as I began to worry that the call was coming from inside the house!

The Resolution
Look, we all know that big brother is watching in some way, shape or form. Our web browsing behavior, our search behavior, whether or not we've clicked a link or made a purchase is open game for targeting marketing messages. The key for marketers is to be discreet about it. Use that information to customize an offer or an experience and do not call direct attention to the creep factor. Had Tim taken a few minutes to read my application he would have seen that I have three kids - a three-year-old and fifteen-month-old twins and should have quickly realized that a 9 PM phone call was not a good idea. Needless to say, Tim did not get my business-and never will-sorry Tim!

No comments: