Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Preexisiting Business Relationship be Damned!

The legislation around marketing these days makes most of us marketers cringe, but being in the email industry you need to keep yourself current on the laws being proposed and passed in states you send mail in to and maintaining CAN-SPAM compliance. I am a true believer that we, as civic minded, responsible adults should be able to clearly see the right from the wrong - but if I hear one more marketer fall back on the crutch of a preexisting business relationship I may just throw something (or someone) across the room!

I am not going to go down the path of rolling a select few under the proverbial bus today (as I am feeling a little sympathetic to the plight) but today was the day that the preexisting business relationship was apparent in my inbox. I talk to a lot of people on behalf of my clients - and in two such instances I was working with publishers to secure dedicated email sends for the purposes of lead generation (which I am not a big proponent of...but that is another rant for another day). Now I have not signed a contract or an insertion order with either organization, but somehow, I have miraculously found myself on their subscriber list and have begun receiving email from their various partners.....so to you, I say, Preexisting Business Relationship be Damned! What ever happened to best practice? Express permission? Even feigned interest?

The hunt found me again! The skunk? All you list owners out there that think this is an OK practice. And the resolution? STOP IT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I have been saying this for a long time and I'll be glad when more companies stop the practice.