Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Get your FAX straight.

The Hunt
I've been in the market for an easy to use fax-to-mail account to supplement by business fax needs. There are a few well known providers out there and all pretty much have the same features compared to one another. As I was sizing up the different providers that had a relatively economical price-point and easy account set-up, I found a service called myFax that seemed to fulfill all my requirements. Tempted by the complimentary 30-day trial, I clicked on the sign-up form and started inputting my information.

The Skunk
I had already picked an area code for my new fax number and entered in my name and email before I continued to the page that requested my credit card information. Trial or not, credit cards mean commitment and I decided not to pull the trigger just yet and do some more research. Up to this point, there was not a check box (to mark or un-mark) for receipt of future emails from myFax but, since they had my email now, a follow-up from the abandonment process wouldn't be a surprise.


As I thought, a message arrived in my inbox a few hours later as a friendly reminder that it was free to sign-up along with some other points that separate them from the "other guy." The sender was a female persona "Tara" but oddly enough, the image rendered in the communication was male. I wasn't sure if this was the "person" that was sending the sign-up reminder or what. Nonetheless, I can't blame them for trying to close the deal with a follow-up message but this and two other messages from them within 24 hours seemed to be a bit much. I hadn't converted and I'm already getting messages on how to use myFax? Oh, and the subject line read "Colleague, subject line..."


The Resolution
Kudos to myFax following up with an "abandon cart" type of message - striking while the iron is hot is a critical messaging component to win the business when the prospective customer is shopping for this type of "instant service." Here's how I would take a bit of the skunk out of what we received.

  • Be upfront about sending a follow-up email, use a check box or inform the registrant that they WILL be getting a future communication if they so choose.
  • I don't know the sender "Tara" but since I would surely be familiar with the company name, use it.
  • The use of the generic "Colleague" both in the subject line and in the salutation in not personal. If you are not going to use the person's name reconsider the "personalization."
  • I perceived the headshot picture to be (should have been) of the person/persona sending the message. There were three unique images used - both male and female - all from Tara.
  • Consider the frequency. Even after two messages, as a non--convert, you run a high risk of future communications being reported as SPAM by the recipient. This could pose a deliverability issue for other messages going to your regular customers as well as those you are looking to convert.
Remember, the difference from a skunk to a sweet smelling email program or campaign can be just a matter of tweaking a few critical variables and messaging components. Look at your communications as your recipients would review them.

No comments: