Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Welcome back? I didn't go anywhere.

The Hunt
Many email marketers have been talking about and leveraging lifecycle reengagement messaging for some time. The concept is pretty basic, if you haven't seen activity from a recipient, find out why. Reengaging your customers helps to improve open rates and keeps your database clean. Based on your sending frequency, it's best to set up those timed touch points when you need to reach out to those that have not shown any open or click-through activity for some period of time. Let's say if you send 2 communications per month, you might want to check-in with those non-responders with a targeted reengagement message after 4-6 months of no activity. Two important things to keep in mind: approximately 30% of your emailable database will change email address on an annual basis and, ISPs do look at your open rates to determine your sender reputation.


The Skunk

In January, I became the new owner of a Black Berry Bold from AT&T. Of course, I'm fully registered to receive emails from AT&T. I login to the website weekly and for the most part, read all the email that AT&T sends. So, when a message arrived this morning with a subject line that included the words "We missed you" I was a little confused. Now I might not open every email that they send but I've surely opened a communication within the last 6 weeks. Even the image within the message called out with a “Welcome Back” phrase. Mistake? Bad timing? I'm not sure but the message left me feeling a little like the kid that gets picked last in dodge ball. I've been here all along.



The Resolution
First things first - you really need to ensure that you have your recipient's individual reporting data correct, especially when keying these types of lifecycle messages against it. When successfully executed, these communications can be a fabulous tool for reintroducing your brand to recipients that have taken a hiatus from your email program.

Make sure when using a reengagement type message or campaign you allow for the appropriate amount of time to gauge inactivity for individual recipients. If I receive a weekly email promotional offer from a marketer I would hope that they are not looking to remove me from the database if I have not opened a message within 8 weeks or less.

And one last thought. If AT&T knows that I'm a wireless customer and that I have purchased a data plan for email on my mobile device they should account for this. Send emails that can be viewed on the device or optimized for both the desktop and mobile world. Even the “Having problems viewing this email? View here” link didn’t open. I'm not sure if it was my device or the link, in any case remove the barriers because I do want to read your message.

No comments: