Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Get ready to hurry up and wait.

The Hunt
I'm not sure when being connected becomes more of an addiction rather than a necessity but it happened to me a few years back. The thought of being without my mobile device sends anxiety pains right through me so it is no surprise that when I heard rumblings of the new Blackberry App World I started salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs. For mobile device die-hards, it's not just about the equipment; it's about what new and great things you can do with it. Sign me up!


The Skunk
One of the key selling features for my new Blackberry was that my perception of these types of devices is that they are geared for the business user. The trade-off when compared to the iPhone, applications created for these devices are not as varied or robust as those on the open platform that Apple has created for the iPhone. Enter Blackberry App World. This past month I received two messages to sign up and be one of the first to be notified when this new service is available. My first official message was on March 6; I promptly followed the link and signed up. A second email came on March 26 which came with a similar call to action. The issue with the second email is that I had already signed up and there was no new news on when I could expect this service to be live. Kinda frustrating right?


The Resolution
Besides the obvious question, why are you asking me to sign up twice, I hoped that the second teaser message had additional information about when I could expect this service to be up and running. I'm a huge Blackberry fan and will most likely post the launch of this service to the social sites that I belong to but with little or no information on when the live site is expected, these types of "hurry up and wait" communications become more inbox clutter than informative.

Another point with this messaging strategy is that I'm already subscribed to receive email communications from Blackberry - the reason I got the original message. Beyond building the "buzz" will there be any differentiation between the types of message that I've now signed up to receive for my initial notification of the launch versus the regular marketing communications that will be sent to regular subscribers? I'll be keeping an eye out and yes, I will be the first in line when App World opens.

No comments: